Sunday, May 17, 2009

My Time Out!


This past weekend I was able to get away with a few of my girlfriends and go to Time Out for Women. Which I want to thank my wonderful husband for letting me go to have this experience. It was a 2 day event starting Friday evening. The speakers for Friday were, Wendy Watson Nelson & Sheri Dew with beautiful music presented by Jenny Oaks Baker. Unfortunately I just realized that I lost my notes for that day, so the few things that I remember from that day is the 30 day challenge that Sheri Dew gave us. She told us to every day before we read our scriptures ask the Lord a specific question that we are seeking answers to, write it in our jounal, then write down the answer and where we found it. The one thing that I remember from Wendy Nelson's talk was to be able to say "Not Even Once" did I break the word of wisdom, or dress immodestly, and teaching our children to be able to say those words. There was a lot more wonderful things that were said, but I can't find my notes, or remember exactly what was said, but the music was beautiful and inspirational.
The Saturday session started off with Emily Watts talking about Motherhood. A couple things that I wrote down that touched me from her talk were:
-The fruit of my parenting is what I HAVE BECOME. Of course it matters what your children have/are become(ing), but I also need to focus on what I am becoming from the way that I am parenting.
-She then was talking about the Savior and how he has MANY names... Redeemer, Prince of Peace, the Shepard, The one, Our King, The merciful... and when I take His name upon myself, what name will I take upon myself? What do I want to be known by?
Next we heard from S. Michael Wilcox He talked about the Savior and when he fed the thousands with a loaf of bread and 5 fish. What I took from his talk was to bring to the Lord what I have, my gifts & talents, and he will give me what we need.
And also my favorite quote from him was, "Obedience is not perfection, it's trying." I love it!
We were also privileged to hear from Hilary Weeks for our music that day. She played in between speakers and it was wonderful. Her music is beautiful, inspirational and even funny! She sang this song called Laundry (click to watch it on Youtube) and some other really funny songs about life. I ended up buying one of her CDs. I wish I could have afforded more, but one at a time is good enough.
Our next speaker was Kim Nelson who was hilarious. He spoke about Motherhood and a few things that I took away from his talk were these things... - Get the most joy out of where we are.
-The Lord lets you love your children so you can see the way the Lord loves you.
The question he had us ask was...
If you saw a Mother treat her daughter the way YOU treat YOURSELF, what kind of Mother would you think she was?
- See yourself the way the Lord sees you.
The last speaker that we were privileged to hear from was Kris Belcher who had us all crying from laughing so hard. She talked about trials and a lot about her life's trials that she has gone through. The things that I took from her talk was...
-If your trial isn't in direct consequence to your sins, it is a trial to strengthen you and make you better.
- God wouldn't give you any trial you couldn't handle WITH Christ's help. You should never go through a trial on your own, you should ALWAYS turn to Christ.
-Always tell the Lord how you feel.

I am grateful for this time that I had to be spiritually fed and uplifted, and hope that I can change from the things that I have learned to be a better friend, mother & wife.

And I thought that I would mention that while I was gone Josh had a movie night with the kids, took the kids grocery shopping, flew kites and made dinner. Also cutting his finger on the strawberry container at the same time Megan did something to make her toe bleed. What a great husband and Dad he is!

5 comments:

Linda Kelly said...

I am so glad you got to go to Time Out for Women this year. I went last year and found the speakers and music to be wonderful. I learned a lot about myself and how to be better at just being a daughter or God. Kuddos to Josh for watching the kids and getting so much done while you were gone!!

Laura Jansson said...

So jealous! I totally should have signed up to go. Several girls in my ward went, too. I have to plan on it for next year. Glad you had a good "Time Out" :)

Tiffani said...

What an awesome experience and I hope that amidst all of the girl time that you were able to get some R&R

Tiffany's Treats and Eats said...

Okay that IS random. Cameron is my hubby's Regional, and my hubby is the manager this year. We just moved from Orlando to Austin. It's great here. Anyway, we know the Kelly's cuz I visit taught Joanne! And she visit taught me. Funny! Your blog is way cute! KIT!!

Hksedwick said...

I am glad to hear it is good, it is coming to Richmond and I signed up to help out, so hopefully it will be just as great out here.