I DID IT!!!!! I ran 13.1 miles in 2 hours and 17 minutes. It was the longest work out that I have ever done. For those who didn't know that I was running, let me tell you about it. In my ward before we moved we started up a running group to run this Indiana University Circle of Life Mini Marathon. We started training in June and ran our mini yesterday, Sept 8th. We started out with a large group of women and ended up with 11 women, 3 did the 5K and 8 of us did the mini. We all went up the night before and spent a girls night out eating dinner and we rented hotel rooms and stayed the night so that we would be ready for the race in the morning. So far this is the only picture that I have since I left my camera with Josh so that he could take pictures of me finishing. But he handed the camera to another husband to take a picture and well, check it out
Josh got it on video, and some of the other girls that I went with got it on camera so pictures will come later, and if we can figure out how to transfer stuff from our video camera to the computer then we will have video footage as well. But here is the only picture that I have right now, this is after my race and I was stretching, and Megan is holding my metal.
For those of you who want to read on about how I felt during this 13.1 miles of never ending running, please continue reading. The first of the race was really cool running and watching the sea of people ahead of me running up the hill. But it was also very difficult trying to weave through people. The weather was really good for the race, it started at 8am, and it was overcast, but the sun started peeking through clouds and then as the race went on it was cloudier and you didn't have the sun hitting you. So I did hit the water stations a lot sooner then I thought that I would, but I think that it helped since I never felt dehydrated. The course was full of A LOT of "rolling hills" which was really hard, but I felt fine till about mile 8 and then I had to keep walking every once in awhile. And then at mile 11 I felt like my legs felt like rubber, and I could feel my legs getting sore. And at mile 12 I was running with one of my friends who helped me get motivated to run the last mile and I made it past the finish line. It really meant a lot to me to have Josh and the kids there cheering me on at the end. And thank you to all of you who were cheering me on in spirit. I really needed the support to accomplish this goal. And now for those of you who are wondering if I will ever do this again... I think that I will have to think about it after all my achy muscles have gone away and my toe isn't purple. But I think that I would like to run another race, I don't know if I will ever do a mini marathon again, but I would love to do a 10k.
8 comments:
Wow--you did it!!! That is really awesome!
I will be running a 20k in November (12.4 miles) and have already started training for it. Congrats again!!!!
Lex,
I am soooo proud of you! I never thought that you would run a race before me but you did! WAY TO GO!!! I'm so happy and proud of you! You have got Steve wanting to train for a 1/2 marathon now! Way to go! LOL
Love, Jess
P.S 2 days!!
That's awesome! Congrats on finishing! Are you going to take a break from running for a while? That's quite the accomplishment you should be proud!
Alexis that is so awesome that you did it! It feels so good to accomplish something like that. Yeah rubber legs is a good way to describe it. Remember recovery is just as important as preparing for the race. Way to Go!!
Alexis: WOW!!!!! Way to go girl. I will come out in a week and we can celebrate by buying you a new outfit to go with you new body!!! Can't wait to see the video and hear all about it. MOM KELLY
Good Job! It took a lot of dedication and hard work for you to accomplish your goal. I am so proud of you. Now maybe you can help motivate me!
Way to go!! I'm so happy you did it! Isn't it the best feeling when you finish!!
Post a Comment