Friday, August 22, 2008

Megan's Belly Button

Yesterday Megan had surgery for her umbilical hernia that she was born with. We had to be there at 8:00am, but due to traffic arrived at 8:25, after we checked in and sat for about 10 minutes they called us back and started introducing us to everyone that will be working with Megan, the nurse, the anesthesiologist, assistant nurse, assistant anesthesiologist, and the doctor. A lot of people to meet all at once, one right after the next. I just felt like I was shaking my head yes to whatever they were saying and then signing papers. I could of signed off to cut off her leg and I wouldn't have even known it. I usually try to read through the documents that they have me sign, but we were so rushed since the patient before her didn't show up, which is great since it meant less time for Bryson at the babysitter. (thanks Tiffany) Getting Megan ready for the surgery wasn't so good, even after they gave her the relaxing drug to drink she still put up a fight to get the gown on, but they decided to take her with just a blanket over her. Surgery went quick and we were back with her around an hour. (top left picture was taken before she went in.)

When she came out from surgery she was very quiet and only let me take a picture (top right) so that I could show Grandma. Once they brought in a Popsicle for her she seemed to be in better spirits.
Once we got her home she watched movie after movie (thanks again Tiffany, she watched all 4 Barbie movies and then Alvin and the Chipmunks) but she didn't have much of an appetite for anything more then crackers. But she did pose for another picture to show her belly button bandage.
Here is a video of Megan talking about her surgery.



This morning she wasn't doing very good, she threw up a couple of times after taking her medicine. She really doesn't like taking the pain medicine and she really didn't want to eat anything, but by lunch time she ate her normal food (in a small portion) and did great, she is watching more movies today and resting but is very excited to return to school on Monday.

8 comments:

Sarah said...

Good job Megan at being so brave! I can't wait to see your new button. Get better soon.
Love Taylor

JACK!E said...

Oh Gavin was born with the same thing so I am glad to hear that it seems like a minor surgery taking only an hour and back to school on Monday. We are hoping for the best-that it just goes away on its own, and it is looking SO much better than it did at first-but I doubt we will get away without having to do the surgery.

amber said...

Wow! That is so awesome. Joshua had to watch and talk about Megan's owe-ee on her tummy all night. He's really curious because his two cousins just got their tonsils out yesterday. He thinks that everyone is going to the hospital. Way to go Megan!!

Jessica said...

Awww my sweet Megan! I'm sorry you had to have surgery. You did so well and were so brave! I am so proud of you. I love you so much! Kylie and aunt Jessie send LOTS and LOTS of HUGS and KISSES!!! We miss you and hope you feel better soon! Lex I LOVE the video of Megan. Kylie has had to watch it several times. Kids are so funny! Love you!

Linda Kelly said...

Way to go Megan!! I can't wait to come and visit you for your birthday and you will be all better from you surgery. You were a brave girl just like we talked about and you did GREAT. I bet you can't wait to tell your teachers and friends at school all about it!!

Anonymous said...

Good job Megan, you were so brave!
I am so proud of you! I hope it dosent hurt any more and you can play with your friends real soon!
I am glad you like school! I bet you are a really good friend to everyone! Love you soooooo much!!
miss you!

Tiffany Gremmert said...

I can't believe you know how to spell anesthesiologist. I had to cut and past just to write it in here but normally wouldn't have a clue how to spell it. I hope Megan continues to do well. Poor little girl.

Stacie said...

Way to be tough Megan! Glad to hear she'll be up and moving quickly.