Thursday, August 28, 2008

Doctor, Doctor, Doctor

Who's Been to the Doctor?
This week has been quite eventful with lots of trips to the Doctor. First visit was on Monday night. Megan went back to school (her first day back since her surgery) and came home running a temperature of 103.2 and was saying how tired she was, we let her sleep for 2 1/2 hours. Which I found out the next day when her teacher called that Megan actually took 2 naps at school that day too. And by 8:00pm she was ready for bed even though she just woke up at 5:30pm, but she couldn't go to bed since we were at the doctors. We wanted to know if her high fever was due to her surgery and if she was getting an infection. So the doc checked her out, said her throat was a little red so they took a strep test, which came back negative and said that everything looked fine, so sent us home with no answers.
So Megan stayed home from school Tuesday with high fevers, Wednesday with fevers, but it actually broke for a short while and we thought that she might be able to go to school on Thursday, but then it peaked again. So Thursday morning I called the surgeon again and they wanted to see her, so I scheduled her an apt in the afternoon (since Josh would be done with his classes and I HATE driving down town by myself, so then he could drive) So off to doctor #2, the surgeon with the whole family. They checked Megan out and said that everything looked fine and that her fevers weren't being caused by her surgery wound. So good news, but still no answers. So they sent us back to the pediatrician to have them do an urinalysis to see if they can find something in her urine, and if not then do a blood test. So off to doctor #3, but only Megan and I. We got there and Megan had to go to the bathroom so I asked for a cup and ran her back. (I was very excited to get this part over with, since Megan is very scared about peeing in the cup and we are usually in there for awhile with me holding the cup and trying to convince her that everyone else has to do this or bribing her, so I was very glad that she had to pee so I didn't have to worry about that part!) So back to the doctor and she came in and told us that Megan has a UTI, FINALLY an answer!! But the bad news is that when someone under 5 comes in with a UTI they usually do an ultrasound on the kidneys, and some other procedure that is a little more invasive, but since she is 2 weeks away from being 5 they said that they will skip that and see if everything goes away with just medicine, if not then we will have to do the ultra sound. So keep your fingers crossed that she will get cured with the medicine and that we won't have to see the doctor again any time soon.

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Awwwww poor Megan and poor you! I am SO SORRY that you and Megan have had to go through all of this. At least you have an answer, right? Keep me updated on what is going on with Megan. I hope she starts to feel better soon.

Julia Kelly said...

We know all about UTI's, ultrasounds, blood work, peeing in a cup...all too familar around here! I just don't get why they didn't check her urine very first. It was the same with Loraya...hope things get better. Ultrasounds aren't bad, but it would mean another doctor visit. Which get to go today! Fun times.

Nordgren Mommy said...

I'm so sorry, that is no fun. Kaitlyn had to go through all of that, ultrasound, blood work, and other testing, because she was getting UTI's at 14 months old. It is scary as a mother but everything turned out fine and once she got in for the test everything was better that I expected. Good luck I hope the medicine takes care of it.

Linda Kelly said...

What is with all the UTI's in this family??? Hope the meds take care of the problem and she can return her old self. You need to get them all better by the time I come and visit!!!

Stacie said...

Thank heavens for little boys!:) But we do know all about plenty of doctor's visits. They seem to be feast or famine around here.

Tiffani said...

It is actually very common for little girl under 6 to get UTI because they are either potty training or wiping all by themselves. Tip of the day: wipe FRONT to BACK so that the poop doesn't get into their privates causing an infection. Teach Megan the "correct" way to wipe and minimize her chances of getting another UTI. I hope that the med's work!

Anonymous said...

o poor Megan and you!!!
You really have alot on your plate right now! I hope the meds work. Grandma Stevenson is on her 3rd med for her uti. Hope it goes better for Megan. I love you guys so much and wish I could be close to help!!! xoxoxxo