Wednesday, April 08, 2009

The Good & the Bad

So I wanted to praise one kid and ask for advice about the other. First the good. Last week I decided that it was time to take Bryson off the passy. It has been long over due and I just couldn't think of a good time to do it. So last week was spring break and I wasn't babysitting his friend so I thought that it would be a great time to get him off the passy since he could cry through nap time and wouldn't wake up his friend. So if you want to read about the first couple of days check it out here, but in the end everything went really good. He has been off it for over a week now and we are still going strong. He only asks for it every once in awhile. YEAH!!

Now to the second child who has been acting up at school. I don't know what to do. She gets smiley, frowny and in between faces on 8 different things each day. On her last day before spring break she came home with only 2 smiley faces, Josh and I had a long talk with her and she had to pick a punishment from the list that Josh and I came up with. I was excited to think that she was doing better when she came home from school with all smiley faces the first 2 days back from spring break, but today she came home with 1 in between face with a note saying that she "had difficulty following directions." She is also having problems at home obeying me, so I don't know what to do. I have tried different punishments... time out corner, & taking away privileges like TV, treats & toys. They all seem to upset her for the time but still aren't changing her behavior. I don't know if I just need to stick it out longer, or try something different. So any advice would be great.

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Morgan was doing the same thing a month ago. She wasn't being naughty at school, but she wouldn't listen at all and punishments wouldn't work either. I finally sat down and talked with her and asked her how she liked school, etc it came out that there is a girl at school that acts snotty, and gets away with it, so Morgan was trying to test the limits at home. Brian and i had a nice (4 year old) long conversation with her about how that is acceptable in some homes, but not in our home or school. Maybe there's a kid at school that she is trying to be like. Hope that kind of helps. Who knew that raising little early teenagers would be so dramatic. ;)

Jessica said...

I wish I had some words or advice since I'm the older sister but I only have a three year old so we haven't reached that age yet. I really like the advice about sitting down with her and talking to her. I'm sure that would help. I think anytime we come down to our kids level it always seems to help. Kylie was having issues in dance and gymnastics and I had a little talk and figured some things that helped. So maybe that would help. Good luck let us know how it goes. Love you!

Anonymous said...

could she be bored? I've had several friends who have had this problem and their kids were just very smart and they were bored coloring and learning ABCs in Kindergarten... sorry I'm not more help..

Shumster said...

Makenna has the same problem and the teacher says it's because she is bored. She doesn't finish all of her work because it really bores her. She is basically at a stand still in reading and writing because the teacher is not allowed to test her at a higher level than she has so now we are making up for that and giving her more challenging stuff at home but she only gets to do it if she finishes all her school work first.