Thursday, June 05, 2008

Cicada, what's that?

Something that I have realized living in Kentucky is that there are a TON of bugs, and this year I got introduced to another bug that only comes out every 17 years, a cicada, so I am glad that this will be the only year with them, but really these bugs are loud and annoying. I took a video so you could hear the sound from our back porch. Josh says that he can even hear them driving, with the music on.

The only good news is that they are only out for 3-4 weeks while they mate and then they go away, check out this news clip if you want to see them and learn more about them. I don't think that I will miss these bugs. I think one was stuck on the car door and flew out at me when I opened it to get Bryson out. I freaked out and the kids thought that it was funny. I hate bugs, so on a better note, the bug people just called and said that they are coming to spray tomorrow, just in time!

7 comments:

Julia Kelly said...

I've seen a show about these insects before on Planet Earth. I too HATE bugs and would not like these little critters everywhere. yuck.

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! that is so loud!!!!
do they bite? Will the spraying help? Do they come in the house? I know how much you hate bugs so I hope they go away fast. or better yet come home to Utah till they are gone,"I like it" we wont "bug" you! Love you so much!!!!
MOM N

Julia Kelly said...

Oh my gosh. That is HORRIBLE! I can't believe how loud they are. Some serious mating going on I guess. =)

Kristin Rose said...

I was in Maryland when they came out from hiding. They are loud and annoying and everywhere. Good luck fighting off the Cicadas.

Kristin Rose said...

Cicadas for dinner! Yum, Yum!

Nic & Kandis said...

I remember those bugs when Nic and I lived in St. Louis. They are so noisy! And Nic says they are out EVERY year so be prepared. He thinks that there is just a new batch of them every 17 years. I don't know...we could be wrong!

Tosha said...

one word: ANNOYING!
hopefully they go away SOON!