Thursday, February 21, 2008

Allergic

So a couple of weeks ago we had breakfast for dinner, something very common for our family, and now that Bryson is eating with us and not his baby food anymore he also had some eggs and French toast, until he started to look like this...
(notice his left eye, your right, and around his mouth)
So I gave him some Benadryl and it went away. I was a little weirded out by it since I don't have any allergies to anything, and neither does Josh, so why would he be allergic to eggs. So a couple of weeks later we had eggs again and I gave them to him to see if he would react again. The exact same thing happened. So, I got an appointment scheduled with an allergist and today we had his appointment. They test allergies to everything, seasonal, common food allergies, dust, smoke, pets... all that stuff. This is what it looks like...
Each little dot represents the different allergies they test. He ended up having 2 allergies... Eggs & Dust mites. Eggs are on the top right of the picture and dust is on the bottom under column D.
So now no eggs for Bryson. How do I cook with no eggs??? Cookies, brownies, everything? I know people have allergies to eggs, but I really hope that he out grows this. I don't know how to cook without eggs.

6 comments:

Linda Kelly said...

Can you use an egg substitute like egg beaters??? I am like you when trying to think how you can cook without eggs!! Will he outgrow this? Hopefully he will outgrow this and he can eat normally again.

Anonymous said...

I know of people who had childhood allergic reactions to certain things and they grew out of it. I did. Hopefully, Bryson will too.

With all those letters being discovered on his back, maybe he's allergic to alphabet soup too(?). Good luck. We'll see you soon!

Stacie said...

Poor little guy. Was it painful for him? Has he had any reactions to cookies or things with eggs in them? Maybe it's just a slight allergy and he just can't eat eggs straight, but he can eat stuff with eggs in them? Good luck!

Frampton Family said...

This is so sad to hear. And I don't know how you are going to attempt to cook without eggs. Everything I bake has eggs. Keep us updated on how it goes.

Brandon and Natalie said...

I have an egg allergy too, but I can still eat things with eggs as long as they are baked - not like german pancakes where it's all egg, but cookies and cakes and stuff where it's just a few eggs. Now that you know benadryl will take care of it you might want to experiment and see if he can handle baked stuff, especially with him going to nursery soon.

That stinks, he looks like he was a good sport though. Good luck!

M + D said...

Oh sad! I've had to have this test done about 5 times so far in my life and its no fun!! He's lucky he was only allergic to two things.. I'm allergic to EVERYTHING except for mold so you can imagine how my back looks!! Every point is usually bumped up and itchy! :( Also I am SOOOO glad you found me on blogspot! Yea!! I'm going to peek through your blog and I can't believe you have two kids already! Wow!! They are adorable!! I am so excited for your little family and I hope you can move back to Utah soon :)