Wednesday, January 30, 2008

What Would You Do?


Megan got invited to a Birthday Party for a little girl that is in her preschool class, I knew that eventually this would happen, but now that it has I don't know what to do, especially since Josh will be out of town. So I called to get some details on the party since the little girls Dad just hand wrote a note to me inviting Megan to come. So he said that they are just going to have cake and ice cream and presents with some cousins and a couple other friends, and then he wanted to take Megan, Birthday girl, his girlfriend and a brother or cousin (don't remember, not like it really matters) to go see a movie after and he will drive her home afterwards. Now I have never met the Birthday Girl, or her father and I feel a little weird. Either it could go fine, Megan would have fun, I could get some things done while she is there, or I could never see her again. I know that I am paranoid, Thanks Mom! So again I am asking for some advice. What would you do?

6 comments:

Linda Kelly said...

It is always hard to let your kids go over to a strangers house so I would definetly check things out. I don't know how you do that tactfully!! You could just say that you don't let Megan go to birthday parties until she is 6 years old!! Until then you just do family birthdays with relatives. You could send a small token or present for the girl but not let her go over and go to the movies with them. What could they possibly see at the movies that is rated PG??? It is not the end of the world if she does not get to go.

The Kelly Family said...

You might not be as paranoid as you think you are. I definately would not let her go the movie. I would get them a gift and probably just drop it off and say you have other things going on that day but you appreciate the offer. Or if your comfortable, I would stay at the party with her while they do the cake and ice cream, and then just leave when they are done with that part. A hand written note from the father makes the idea seem that much wierder to me. I am a really paranoid mom, too.

Nordgren Mommy said...

I think as a mother you have to trust your first instinct. If you don’t feel good about it either do some research and see if any other mothers of preschool children in Megan’s class know the father any better or come up with something creative for Megan to do and let them know she is unavailable to come. I know we can’t shelter our kids forever and not let anything ever happen to them, but if you don’t feel good about it I would stick with your feelings.

Alan and Brandi Cotton said...

Creepy. If this guy is totally innocent, then its rediculous how some people just don't know where "the line" is. You could always go to the movie as well... let him know you are protective of what she watches??? I also agree with the other comments.

As a former preschool teacher, we always have a gut feeling about some of the parents. Talk to Megan's preschool teacher and see what she thinks about this Dad.

When all is said and done, the truth works! Just tell the dad that Megan is only four and that you don't feel comfortable sending her by herself with someone you don't know very well (or at all). He can't disagree with that!

Jessica said...

Hey I am sure you have already done something or decided what to do but I was just watching an old Oprah last night and they were saying that you need to TRUST your instinct. This is your child you are talking about. I also like what Linda said about only have family parties. Or I would do LOTS of research and maybe go with. The Dad seems a little creepy. I would love to hear what you do.

Alexis said...

So for those who are interested, I have decided to let Megan go to the party and I am going to stay with her, which the Dad said would be fine, and told him that I really am not confortable letting her go to the movie since I really don't know him. So we will see how this party goes, I'll try and take pictures.